Where Angels Tread

(dedicated to the numerous nieces and grandnieces on the International Women's day, 2021)

My parents loved girls. They didn’t have daughters of their own but they treated and considered a whole bunch of girls their own.

Since my mother’s seventh death anniversary last month, I was thinking what my parents' best trait was - They loved kids in general but girls were very special to them. They were married 70 years ago and spent most of their married life as migrants in a distant place away from their relatives. Although very closely acquainted with the numerous nieces, my parents missed the day-to-day interactions with them. My parents made several friends, many of them families with girls, and considered those girls their own. My parents believed that girls bring a great amount of sanity and good fortune to the household. As much as they loved their sons, my parents felt that angels do not tread around the house without daughters. This was a special trait in the highly patriarchal Indian society, at least as I was growing up, in which daughters are considered a bit of a burden despite having more than half the deities as females.

My parents felt that their two boys (three, in the beginning), and them as well, only behave well, act morally, and stay orderly with girls around in the household. For them, gender exposure is an essential part of childhood upbringing. They made sure that I and my brother constantly mix with the other gender of our age and we always have girls of our age moving around in the house. As we were growing up, in the Indian society, as it happened to be very open in those days, it didn’t matter much if these girls were our own sisters; in a sense, they all were, thanks to our parents. As for my parents, their long waiting ended with my brother and sister-in-law having two beautiful daughters.

Fast forward fifty years, me and my wife have two fabulous grown-up sons, but we wish our first grandchild is a daughter. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute – In Memory of Professor Subhash Karampuri

The House My Father Built